Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Legacy Of David

Elvis Presley concluded what would ultimately be his last press conference with these words, "I hope I haven't bored you." Given his larger-than-life fame and his equally infamous dance moves, I'd say that his concern was unnecessary. He may have been loved or hated, but I doubt Elvis ever bored anyone. Yet this is what he said: "I hope I haven't bored you..." To be honest, it seems a bit disappointing to think that these were the last words uttered in public by Elvis Presley.

I have a (morbid perhaps?) fascination with reading "famous" people's last words. You can learn a lot about someone by what they communicate in their last moments. I have smiled, laughed, frowned, and even shook my head sadly while reading the sometimes bizarre, sometimes serious, and sometimes just outright hilarious things people have said prior to their meeting with the Judge of the universe. In some cases, my laughter quickly dies away and is replaced with a sense of dread. Well, what does any of this have to do with David's legacy? Everything.

1 Chronicles 29 records for our viewing the last "public" prayer of David before his death. As I said, we can learn much from what people say in moments like this. David doesn't disappoint us. What does he do? He (yet again, as he had so many times before) turns his gaze upon the glory and majesty of God, humbles himself before His greatness, and encourages everyone else around him to do the same!

This Sunday we conclude our study of David by examining his final public words and join with him as he implores the people of Israel to "Bless the Lord your God!" one more time.

No comments: