Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Knowing Him

This week at Servant's Heart Fellowship we will begin our study of 2 Peter. In the 1st chapter Peter clearly emphasizes the importance of knowing God (count the times he uses the word "knowledge" in the first 8 verses!). It was while I was reviewing this that an amazing thought struck me: It was Peter, the author of this letter, who denied Christ!

Maybe you are thinking, "Yeah, so what? Everyone knows this. What is so amazing about that?" Let me explain. Matthew 28:69-75 records Peter's denials, but I want to draw your attention to verse 74: Then he began to invoke a curse upon himself and to swear, "I do not know the man."

"I do not know the man..." Six sad and painful words, uttered by one of our Savior's closest friends during one of His darkest hours. Of course we know that Peter repented of these horrible words and was graciously restored by the risen Savior, but... I can't help but to wonder if when Peter later writes this letter and so strongly emphasizes the need to know Christ, is he remembering the time he said he didn't know Him? I'm not sure, but if so, I bet Peter was again overwhelmed by God's grace. Peter is an example to me of how amazing grace really is. Why? Well, because he is not all that different from me. Or you.

Join us this Sunday as we consult with the apostle Peter and dig deeper into this all important issue of knowing God. Or to put in another way (and to loosely quote J.I. Packer), this all important issue of "being known by God."

No comments: