Thursday, July 10, 2008

Can God Really Read My Mind?

Ever have that thought, "If he/she only knew what I was thinking..."? Thankfully, people can't read minds. Imagine what the world would be like if people could! The divorce rate would skyrocket, friendships would crumble, unemployment would rise to an all time high. Why? I think you know the answer. If we are honest, we would admit that we have all thought things that we are very grateful no one else knew about. Indwelling sin never rests. In fact, the only positive thing I could think of was that the justice system would benefit greatly from mind reading abilities. Criminals, on the other hand, would not.

I'll admit it, I do take comfort in the fact that other people can't read my mind. I'm sure you do as well. But what about God? Can He read our minds? In Psalm 139:2 David says this about God, "...you discern my thoughts from afar." Yeah... He can read minds. It is no problem for Him. Does that make you uncomfortable?

If you are a Christian, then this is one of those bad news/good news moments that are so common in our lives. The bad news is He does know every single thought we have ever had or ever will have - including all the terrible and sinful ones! The good news is He loves us in spite of our wretchedness and is graciously working in us even now to sanctify us. That is the glory of the gospel! Christ died to save a sinful wretch like me. Thankfully, salvation does not depend upon my thought life. It depends wholly upon the work of Christ at the cross. He knows me better than anyone else ever will, nothing in my life is hidden from Him - and (here is the amazing part) He still loves me with an everlasting love! This incredible truth is what we are studying this Sunday from Psalm 139, so I invite you to come and celebrate the love of an all-knowing God with us.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, I can't even keep what I am thinking straight, I can't imagine having to sort through other's thoughts as well.

Dan Rolfe said...

I agree with you Jason. I often can't even focus long enough to have a useful thought myself! I couldn't handle other people's thoughts either. I'd go crazy.

Another example of how "unlike us" God really is! He is great, and greatly to be praised!

Anonymous said...

Good message today. Thank you.

Unknown said...

i agree, last weeks message was great. what a tremendous relief to know that we are fully known and yet somehow still loved. It brings great freedom, we no longer have to pretend or try to earn God's favor. My heart feels all fluttering inside, like a new love when I'm faced with the wretchedness of a sin, am astonished at my own sinfulness and yet realize that God is not astonished, that He knows how sinful I am, (in fact I'm more sinful and wretched than even I realize) and yet feel that completely loved feelign by God. I can't fathom it.

momomeluna said...

Thank you so much for your message.
I am only worrying... because when people say things that they are not supposed to say, like swear words or words that will make them commit blasphemy, I really fear... for what they say, the word that I am never supposed to say and never will, keeps popping up in my mind when I think about "how would it be if other people could read my mind?" then I immediately think of the worst things, and then terrible swear words that people have said that day pop up in my mind...
I don't know how to stop it! It is really driving me crazy... I am looking for guidance, but I am so struck with confusion and guilt of hearing the words and thinking them, that I can't think straight...

Anonymous said...

I do believe that God reads my mind and He knew what I am thinking, but I still have a question, does God knew in advance what I am going to think?

Speedy said...

If God can read my mind... he knows all my fears and everything about me. If he can, I need him to read my thoughts right now.