Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Why Epiphany Is Considering A Strike!

Have you heard? Epiphany is considering a strike! That's right, this tiny little holiday is fed up with being ignored and is considering a full blown strike! This could be huge. Imagine what your year would be like without this holiday. Hard to, isn't it? I'm sure you are very alarmed by this news - and you should be. Here's the "top five" complaints from a list Epiphany has officially issued:

1. Most people have no clue what Epiphany even is and if asked they would probably say they don't really care. How rude is that?
2. Even many Christians have no clue what Epiphany is even though it is a "Christian" holiday. This one really makes Epiphany burn and it is demanding more attention from the Church.
3. Epiphany simply cannot thrive in the shadow of mega-Christmas sales or compete with all the Christmas "buzz" and wants the playing field leveled with a nationwide "Epiphany Sale" and maybe even introduce some "Epiphany candy".
4. Christmas has stolen Epiphany's thunder by including "wise men" in virtually all Christmas programs and by encouraging people to put "stars" on the top of Christmas trees.
5. Epiphany is regularly left off of new calendars and believes this is intentional on the part of Calendar Makers in an effort to further diminish Epiphany's already dwindling reputation. I mean, come on, Epiphany doesn't make it, but Chinese New Year does?

Wow! Well, I just want to go on record saying that this pastor supports Epiphany. I'm glad today is Epiphany and I wish everyone a very Happy Epiphany! (Right now some of you are thinking, "today is Epiphany?" while others are still stuck on #2! Yup, this is why Epiphany is strongly considering a strike.)

4 comments:

Bonnie said...

FTR, I have my "King's Cake" recipe ready to go. My house will smell like gingerbread soon and mouths will be watering. :-)

"Dost thou think, because thou art virtuous, there shall be no more cakes and ale?"
Twelfth Night, 2. 3

Dan Rolfe said...

Bonnie - a Shakespeare quote and an Epiphany recipe... very impressive (and appropriate)! Now I'm a little hungry. I wonder who else knows about this poor ignored holiday...?

Bonnie said...

I have to admit that I skip right over it most years. But I will say that I absolutely REFUSE to display a nativity scene with the wise men. I had a cheap one a few years ago that has since been broken and I put the wise men waaaaaayyyyyy across the room. All that's left of the whole thing is Mary and the Baby.

Maybe I'll look for an after-Christmas sale and buy a new one with a new outlook on Epiphany for next year. :-)

BoldLion said...

This is interesting! I am learning something new everyday! I never had heard of Epiphany until today! Thank you for sharing with us!

Hungry to eat His Word,
'Guerite ~ BoldLion (one of the redheaded sheep that goes to Christ Baptist Church)