Thursday, January 29, 2009

What Is Marriage?

Last night I had the privilege of speaking at a marriage conference here at Red Oak Baptist Church. During the session, I read this quote from Dave Harvey's excellent book, When Sinner's Say, "I Do":

“We obviously live in a day when the meaning of marriage is up for grabs. Unfettered from any source of authority, marriage follows culture… no matter where the culture goes. After a head-banging night of partying, one pop idol got married, then had the marriage annulled in the morning. To her, marriage may have simply seemed like a fun thing to do for a few hours, not too different from an afternoon at the mall or a visit to Starbucks. Just a spontaneous indulgence. No harm done.”

It is examples like this that make it critical that we get our understanding and definition of marriage from the Bible and make every effort to ensure that our own marriages reflect this understanding and not the culture. This is why I'm eagerly anticipating Jim Upchurch's session this Friday evening on "Acting Out The Gospel In Everyday Married Life". Join us at Red Oak Baptist, 6:30pm. It's free!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you Dan (and Jim) for serving us all with solid biblical teaching Wednesday night and last night. I wish I were able to make to this mornings sessions. If for no other reason than to see for myself if you really are becoming the next Mark Driscoll. My advice, stay away from the Megafauna jokes.

Bonnie said...

Let's hope he is not. :-)

Here's the quote our dear pastor used:

"Ideally, the sexual relationship in marriage becomes a journey of figuring out how to delight my spouse with my body. And you know what? That adventure remains for as long as you both shall live. It's unaltered by kids, age, or bodies that have broken out of their previous contours." Dave Harvey

I'm glad God didn't just mean for husbands and wives to be faithful only if their spouses kept their "previous contours". "My wife let herself go" is no excuse for adultery.