Monday, January 12, 2009

Increasing Our Appetite For The Bible

This past Sunday I encouraged our church family to spend more time in the Word. I recommended a one-year Bible reading plan that we had available as a useful resource (both of my daughters are using this - much to my delight!). I also mentioned several online resources. One of these is the website for the English Standard Version (the Bible I use for preaching), where there is a helpful selection of devotional and daily Bible reading tools. It can be found here

I personally use the ESV daily office lectionary from the Book of Common Prayer that is on their site. I've used the prayer book for many years and was very excited to see that the lectionary is available in the ESV. I even added this as a feature at the bottom of this blog. It updates itself daily with new Scripture readings. This is just one option that is available at the ESV online site.

I again urge our church family to get into the Word and to use these (or other) great resources to help foster a daily appetite for the Scriptures! "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness" 2 Timothy 3:16 ESV

1 comment:

Bonnie said...

The Lord was gracious enough to me to make the OT's wisdom dear to my heart. These are some of my favorite verses concerning studying and teaching the Word.

Deuteronomy 32
45And when Moses had finished speaking all these words to all Israel, 46he said to them, "Take to heart all the words by which I am warning you today, that you may command them to your children, that they may be careful to do all the words of this law. 47For it is no empty word for you, but your very life, and by this word you shall live long in the land that you are going over the Jordan to possess."

Deuteronomy 11
18"You shall therefore lay up these words of mine in your heart and in your soul, and you shall bind them as a sign on your hand, and they shall be as frontlets between your eyes.

Deuteronomy 6
6And these words that I command you today shall be on your heart.

Deuteronomy 4
9"Only take care, and keep your soul diligently, lest you forget the things that your eyes have seen, and lest they depart from your heart all the days of your life. Make them known to your children and your children’s children—

Leviticus 18
5You shall therefore keep my statutes and my rules; if a person does them, he shall live by them: I am the LORD.

Deuteronomy 30
20loving the LORD your God, obeying his voice and holding fast to him, for he is your life and length of days, that you may dwell in the land that the LORD swore to your fathers, to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, to give them."