Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Exploring First Peter

The well-known Reformation theologian John Calvin wrote this in his introduction to 1st Peter:

"The design of Peter in this Epistle is to exhort the faithful to a denial of the world and a contempt of it, so that being freed from carnal affections and all earthly hindrances, they might with their whole soul aspire after the celestial kingdom of Christ, that being elevated by hope, supported by patience, and fortified by courage and perseverance, they might overcome all kinds of temptations, and pursue this course and practice throughout life."

Alright, two things immediately occur to me when I read this. First, I can hear both my Elementary grammar teacher and my college English professor saying, "That is a run-on sentence..." Second, I'm reminded of why Calvin is still a resource that so many turn to when studying the Scriptures. His passion for understanding the Bible is still evident after all these years. Go ahead, read his run-on sentence one more time.

Calvin suggests that Peter's "design" is for believers: To deny the world... to be free from carnal affections... to aspire with their whole soul after Christ's kingdom... to overcome all kinds of temptation... and to do this throughout their whole life!

This design of Peter is also a personal desire for myself and my church family. This is why we at Servant's Heart Fellowship will now turn our attention to 1st Peter. Join us as we start chapter 1 this Sunday, and I pray that this portion of God's Word may cause our hearts to blaze with passion for our Savior!

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

Kind of blows to bits the ideal of many in this country--work to build equity in your home, invest money in the markets, and look forward to retirement. "Contempt" of the world? Aren't we all supposed to be giving all we can to promote world peace??? Isn't this earth all we have to leave to future generations??? Can't I desire the pleasures of the world just a little bit??? Hmmmm...

I look forward to the study. Thanks, Pastor!

Anonymous said...

Greatly looking forward to it.