Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Quote of the Week

I love the church. This is a good thing for many reasons, one of which is because I am a pastor! A church-hating pastor would be (or should be) quickly removed from the pulpit. Now, because I have this love for the church and because I read books about the church all the time, there is a small section in our bulletin each week called: "Quote of the Week". It includes something written or said by a theologian or pastor about the church. I thought I'd share a few of my favorites:

"If we are coming to church only as consumers, to get our needs met, then we have missed the point of the church." -Mark Dever, The Deliberate Church

"A local church will only be as great as its conception of God." -AW Tozer, The Attributes of God

"I believe every Christian ought to be joined to some visible church; that is his plain duty, according to the Scriptures. God's people are not dogs, else they might go about one by one; but they are sheep, and therefore they should be in flocks." -Charles Spurgeon

"So essential is the gospel to the Christian life that we need to be saturated in it in order to be healthy church members." -Thabiti Anyabwile, What is a Healthy Church Member?

No comments: