Friday, November 14, 2008

"God Is... Unchanging!"

During challenging times in my life my father occasionally says to me, "The only thing that's permanent is change." It is true that from our perspective "change" occurs all the time. Everything changes. Everyone changes. I have five children and sometimes I can't keep up with the changes that occur in my home. I change. You change. All we need is a mirror to point out this obvious truth to us. We, as finite and fragile people, have grown familiar with change.

This week we will examine an attribute of God that is totally foreign to us. You see, God does not change... ever. He never has and He never will. Theologians call it God's "immutability". Dr. Sam Storms puts it this way:

"When we talk about the immutability of God's life... we are saying that God never began to be nor will ever cease to be. His life simply is. He did not come into existence, nor will He go out of existence. God is not young or old: He is." And, Dr. Storms adds, "The Being, who eternally is, never changes."

Join us this Sunday as we gaze upon the unchanging One and may our hearts be freshly amazed at the surpassing greatness of our God!

No comments: