Friday, May 1, 2009

Without Grumbling!

I've heard Christians say that 1 Peter 4:9 is one of the hardest verses to put into practice. Here it is: "Show hospitality to one another without grumbling." The hospitality part isn't so difficult, after all, many of us are willing to at least spend some time with other believers. It is the last two words of the verse that we struggle with - "without grumbling."

What's the problem here? I'll say it as clear as I can. Hospitality is often very inconvenient. To genuinely offer hospitality we must be willing to spend extended periods of time with other Christians. The problem is our sinful hearts. Sometimes we can be too selfish with our time, and when we do spend it with other believers... we end up grumbling about it.

Is there hope for us? Absolutely! We will be looking at this on Sunday as we once again gaze upon the Savior and apply His Holy Word. To get prepared go ahead and read 1 Peter 4:7-11.

2 comments:

bethsessoms said...

I said it was fine to have the ladies meeting at my house Dan.

Anonymous said...

I don't know you, Dan but I'm a friend of the Sessoms family and linked here from Beth's blog. I'm so encouraged to hear another pastor (along with ours at Crossroads Bible Fellowship in Greenville) really talking about this area of Christian living.
Kay Thompson