Friday, September 26, 2008

Shrinking At The Foot Of The Cross

Self-righteousness has an annoying way of sneaking up on me. I'll go a few days... no major blow ups in my temper, doing pretty good with training my eyes to look away from things they shouldn't be looking at, finding time for lengthy Bible study and meditation... then suddenly self-righteousness pops up in my heart and I begin telling myself, "See Dan, your not that bad. Look at what you have done." It is at these moments, if I am sensitive to the Holy Spirit, that I detect a red flag and quickly run to the cross. I wish I could report that I always do this right away.

While reading CJ Mahaney's book on humility, I came across this very helpful quote from theologian John Stott: Every time we look at the cross Christ seems to be saying to us, “I’m here because of you. It is your sin I am bearing, your curse I am suffering, your debt I am paying, your death I am dying.” Nothing in history or in the universe cuts us down to size like the cross. All of us have inflated views of ourselves, especially in self-righteousness, until we have visited a place called Calvary. It is there, at the foot of the cross, that we shrink to our true size.

I love the shrinking power of the cross! I need the shrinking power of the cross! I'm looking forward to celebrating the cross this Sunday. This is where we shrink to our true size!

No comments: