Thursday, December 30, 2010

Resolutions

Resolutions - you either love them or hate them. Many hopeful people make (and inevitably break) resolutions every single new year. Others, perhaps more pessimistic, believe resolutions are a waste of time and don't even bother. What about you? Is it wise or foolish to resolve to do things each year? The famous pastor and theologian Jonathan Edwards evidently thought so and he made 70 resolutions (over a period of two years) that he reviewed every week.

Here are three of his that just might help stir up some resolutions of your own:

Resolved, Never to give over, nor in the least to slacken, my fight with my corruptions (sin), however unsuccessful I may be.

Resolved, Never to do any thing, which I should be afraid to do if it were the last hour of my life.

Resolved, to ask myself, at the end of every day, week, month, and year, wherein I could possibly, in any respect, have done better.

No comments: