Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Things We Hold Dear: Cross-Centered Preaching

Over the next week or two I am going to post about some "things we hold dear" here at Servant's Heart Fellowship. The first one is cross-centered preaching. I recently hung a quote from Bishop J.C. Ryle over my desk in my office. This is what it says:

“All the simplicity in the world can do no good, unless you preach the simple gospel of Jesus Christ so fully and clearly that everybody can understand it. If Christ crucified has not his rightful place in your sermons, and sin is not exposed as it should be, and your people are not plainly told what they ought to believe, and be, and do, your preaching is of no use.”

This man's strong exhortation hangs (literally) over my head as I prepare sermons. This is what he is saying to me: "Dan, if Christ crucified doesn't have his rightful place in this week's sermon... then your preaching will be useless!"

At Servant's Heart Fellowship, we take preaching cross-centered sermons very serious - it is something we hold dear.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looking forward to more.